A match made in heaven – Avocado & Pulled Pork
As crazy as we may be about our GreenSkin® and PurpleSkin® Avocados, we try to occasionally acknowledge some of the wonderful things that go with them…
This has been a favourite for many years and never seems to get old. It’s possibly the ‘ceremony’ of preparation that really makes it special.
While this dish will take time, it will give back two-fold in good impressions. And it is so amazingly simple to do. Perfect for an easy dinner party on a Saturday night.
Serves 6 for Dinner
20 minutes prep + overnight marinade
8 hours cooking
2 GreenSkin® or PurpleSkin® Avocados
1 Pork Shoulder (bone in or out is up to you)
2 cups rice (your preference, we like wild rice)
2 tomatoes, chopped into quarters (1 can of chopped tomatoes is fine too)
160ml red wine (1 glass of red, or stock if you prefer)
90ml apple cider vinegar (3 shots)
4 bay leaves
2 big cloves garlic (crushed not chopped)
1 brown onion
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons fennel seeds (whole seeds is best)
3 teaspoons smoked paprika
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon All-spice (or cinnamon as a substitute)
1 fresh chilli (1 teaspoon of ground chilli or chilli flakes as a substitute)
Goes beautifully with the rest of the bottle of wine that you opened to cook.
To ensure the BEST flavour you want to start this the night before.
Two hours is fine if you’re rushing but rest assured the longer it wears The Rub the better it’s going to taste.
- The Rub ingredients should be blended to produce a consistent mix.
- Rub the mix all over the Pork Shoulder with some ENTHUSIASM.
- Don’t miss the fatty parts, and massage it until covered.
- Place rubbed shoulder in the Dish that lifts out of the cooker. Cover. Refrigerate.
- When you’re ready to go, place the Dish into the cooker and add the tomatoes, vinegar and bay leaves.
- Cook for 8 hours on LOW (4 hours on HIGH also works but not our suggestion)
- 30 minutes before serving, remove the shoulder and using two forks pull it into small pieces, then toss it back in the sauce.
- 20 minutes before serving halve your GreenSkin® or PurpleSkin® Avocados, remove the seed and gently remove skin – scooping or peeling, but try to ensure it comes out as a single piece – and slice long ways.
- 10 minutes before serving, cook your rice. One cup rice to two cups of water. Bring to the boil then remove lid, turn the heat down and wait…
- As soon as the rice is ready plate up… Rice, then Pulled Pork half-on-half-off the rice, a spoon of sauce and lay the GreenSkin® or PurpleSkin® Avocados on top as a garnish.
- Before cooking, rinse the rice in a large sieve
If leftovers are stored properly, you have lunch for the next day.